by Bob Hoad is extracted from a family history record held
by the Redhill Museum in South Australia.
Peter Green 1844 - 1918; married at Salisbury 1869, Phyllis nee
Burgess 1850 - 1913. They remained for several years on a farm
known as part of Parioria Estate. In the year 1881 the family
left that district for Collinsfield. They lived on section of
land, County of Daly No. 18, it was known as Brooklyn farm; now
the home and property of Dennis and Andreen Tothill.
the 15th day of March 1890, Thomas Peter Green purchased from
Thomas Robert Bright, gentleman of Clare, section of land situated
in Hundred of Redhill, County of Daly No. 64. On this property
was the Collinsfield Hotel. Thomas Peter Green closed the hotel
and moved his family from Brooklyn to live there. Collinsfield
Hotel became known as "The Peppers" Collinsfield.
Peter and Phillis Green had a family of thirteen children, five
died as infants. The eleventh child of the family Thomas Leo Green
1889 - 1966, married Ethel Elizabeth nee Ellis 1891 - 1986, and
they continued living at The Peppers as by this time Thomas Peter
and Phillis had retired to live at Semaphore.
Leo and Ethel had seven children. Thomas Alexander who died in
National Service, Borneo, World War ll. Maurice Leo died aged
11/2 years. Agnes Pearl married Lancelot
Martin married Ethel Letton. John Lawrence married Ruth Hewlett.
Margaret Elizabeth died as an infant, and William Anthony.
Peppers" property is still in the names of John Laurence
and William Anthony. Agnes is deceased leaving an only child Neil.
James had a son Philip who is married, there are no children.
John had six children - John, Jane, Andrew, Haydon, Trevor and
Darren; all married, there have been fifteen grandchildren born
of these unions. Darren and Raelene are now living at "The
Peppers", the old Collinsfield Hotel.
Hotel Collinsfield Existed 1875 - 1893
1875 - 1876 Collins Joseph 1884 - 1886 McDonald G
1877 Collins Mrs M A 1887 Smith A
1878 - 1882 Lowson George C 1887 Collins A
1883 DeLance W.H 1888 - 1893 McFarlane G.L.
taken from "Hotels and Publicans in South Australia 1836-1984"
J.L. (Bob) Hoad